National Suicide Month and Mental Health Awareness Week are complete. Our team at Financial Enhancement Group has been involved by raising awareness on social media, participating and sponsoring area events. We had employees partake or we sponsored, The Anderson Out of the Darkness Walk, the NAMI-WCI Fall Classic Walk/Run Race, and Henry County Break the Grey. All of these events were successful and we are grateful for everyone that came out to these events to help people understand that their lives and their mental wellbeing matters.
Remember, suicide is a huge concern and has impacted most families in the United States. Remember to keep your eyes and ears open for signs from your loved ones or yourself that may indicate depression or suicide ideation (provided by the National Institute of Mental Health):
- Talking about wanting to die or wanting to kill themselves
- Talking about feeling empty, hopeless, or having no reason to live
- Planning or looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online, stockpiling pills, or newly acquiring potentially lethal items (e.g., firearms, ropes)
- Talking about great guilt or shame
- Talking about feeling trapped or feeling that there are no solutions
- Feeling unbearable pain, both physical and/or emotional
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Using alcohol or drugs more often
- Acting anxious or agitated
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Changing eating and/or sleeping habits
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Taking risks that could lead to death, such as reckless driving
- Talking or thinking about death often
- Displaying extreme mood swings, suddenly changing from very sad to very calm or happy
- Giving away important possessions
- Saying goodbye to friends and family
- Putting affairs in order, making a will
As financial advisors, Financial Enhancement Group wants to do everything we can to help you financially plan and prepare for whatever you and your loved ones need to support their mental health, like counseling, therapy, and psychologist appointments. However, if there is a real and immediate problem, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), and for more information go to their website at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ .
Just because National Suicide & Mental Health Awareness Month is ending does not mean that we shouldn’t remain vigilant. People’s struggles with suicide, depression, anxiety, and all varieties of mental illnesses do not cease when awareness stops. The more aware we are as a community, the fewer people that wrestle with these things have to suffer. So once again, thank you from the Financial Enhancement Group for those of you that have already been supportive, and please stay aware!
Financial Enhancement Group is an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Securities offered through World Equity Group, Inc., Member FINRA and SIPC, and a Registered Investment Advisor. Investment Advisory services offered through Financial Enhancement Group (FEG) or World Equity Group. FEG is not owned or controlled by World Equity Group, LLC.